Statement from the Lancaster City Council:
As a City which holds community values in the highest regard, we feel it is our duty to provide assistance to our citizens in their time of greatest need. As such, the City of Lancaster, in conjunction with the City of Palmdale, will aid furloughed federal government employees in any way it can. This is a scary time for the entirety of our nation, and we empathize with those who are working tirelessly to find innovative ways to make their dollars stretch farther during this difficult situation.
In addition to providing support, the City of Lancaster has compiled a list of local, regional, and national resources that offer a number of ways to alleviate financial strain throughout the duration of the federal shutdown.
Assistance & Resources:
- The City of Lancaster is offering Parking Citation Deferment and Business Licensing Fee Deferment. Contact the Finance Department at (661) 723-6033 for more information.
- The City of Lancaster is waiving fees for classes and sports classes for impacted federal workers. Contact the Parks, Recreation & Arts Department at (661) 723-6077 for more information.
- Edwards Federal Credit Union, in partnership with the City of Lancaster, is offering loans up to $5,000 at two percent for one year as well as allowing customers to skip loan payment with no fees for any current Edwards Federal Credit Union loan.
- Contact Grace Resources at (661) 940-5272 regarding food assistance.
- Lancaster Choice Energy is offering assistance for furloughed federal workers who are also LCE customers. LCE customers who are furloughed workers or are working without pay will have deferred energy bill payments until 30 days after the shutdown has been lifted. Call LCE at (661) 723-6084 for more information.
- Waste Management
- AVTA is offering free rides for furloughed federal workers. Learn More
Unemployment Insurance Benefits
- NASWA (EDD) - NASWA States Help Furloughed Federal Employees
Resources for Palmdale Residents
- 211 LA - Los Angeles County resources: www.211la.org.
- DPSS is providing early payouts for CalFresh recipients, through February. Learn More
- Montage Salon is offering free haircuts for federal employees for the month of February from participating stylists. Learn more.
- Bank of America: Bank of America has announced assistance available to furloughed Federal employees. Call the priority assistance line 844.219.0690.
- Chase Bank: Chase has announced efforts to help its customers who are U.S. government employees affected by the U.S. government shutdown, call 1-888-356-0023 for more information.
- Congressional Federal Credit Union: For more information on Relief Line of Credit or any assistance programs, contact Member Service Representatives at 800-491-2328 or stop by a branch.
- FedChoice: Please contact your local branch.
- Interior Federal Credit Union: Special loans for both member and non-member furloughed Federal workers. Net paycheck up to $15,000, interest free up to 30 days. Members may apply for a limit up to the equivalent of 2 net paychecks. More offers available online or call 800-914-8619.
- Navy Federal Credit Union: More information here or call 1-888-842-6328.
- PayPal: PayPal has allocated $25 million to fund interest-free cash advances to our furloughed Federal workers that need assistance now. This is for both new and existing PayPal Credit customers. Minimum loan is $250 with a maximum cash advance of $500. Your account does need to be in good standing if you’re an existing PayPal Credit customer. Existing customers call 1-877-689-1975. For new accounts, apply here first, then after approval call 1-877-689-1975.
- U.S. Bank: Will waive all late fees if you miss a mortgage payment due to the shutdown, they will defer first payment dates for new mortgages. Contact your local branch for additional information.
- SunTrust: SunTrust has set-up programs to assist existing clients, please contact your local branch for additional information.
- Synchrony Bank: Synchrony Bank is allowing affected customers to defer payments until after the shutdown. Contact Synchrony Bank for more information.
- Union Plus: For union members call 800-472-2005 regarding assistance offers: $300 Furlough Grant for eligible Union Plus credit card holders, Mortgage Assistance Loan & $300 Grant:, payment grace period for your Union Plus Life and Accident Insurance, payment grace period for Union Plus Auto Insurance, and payment grace period for Union Plus Life and Accident Insurance.
- Wells Fargo: A number of offers are available, please contact your local branch for additional information.
- FEEA-NARFE: FEEA-NARFE fund is offering $100 grants to active federal employee members who are not receiving a paycheck during the current shutdown due to being furloughed or working in excepted status. To apply, visit the FEEA website here.
Automotive Finance Companies
- Toyota Financial Services & Lexus Financial Services: Affected lease and finance customers in good standing with their accounts may be eligible to take advantage of up to two months of finance contract payment extensions or lease deferred payments. Toyota Financial Services call 800-874-8822 and Lexus Financial Services call 800-874-7050.
- Hyundai Capital: Hyundai will extend all Hyundai Capital auto loan and lease payments for 30 days for current Hyundai owners who are federal government employees furloughed during the shutdown. Impacted consumers should contact Hyundai Motor Finance at 1-800-523-4030 to take advantage of this offer.
- Kia Motors Finance: Kia has announced they’re offering deferred payments of 30 days. If you’ve been affected by the current Government Shutdown and need assistance from Kia Finance, please contact us at 1-866-331-5632.
- Ford Credit, GM Financial, & Mercedes-Benz Financial Services: It has been reported that these companies are among those providing qualified customers options such as payment deferrals, late fee waivers and special care lines to address their individual problems, though official announcements from these companies have not been released online.
Mobile Telephone Service Providers
- AT&T: Will assist with adjusting late fees, providing extensions, and revising payment schedules.
- Sprint: Will provide short-term payment solutions. Call 1-888-211-4747
- T-Mobile: Offering short-term assistance, and can spread out service payments over time. Call 1-877-746-0909 or 611 from a T-Mobile device.
- Verizon: Offering flexible payment options and has a Promise to Pay program to set payments for a future date. Call 1-866-266-1445
Rental Home Assistance
- National Rental Home Council: Represents many of the nation’s largest operators of single-family rental homes. They are offering deferred rent payment options with no late fees to any renter who has been furloughed.
- OPM Sample Letters for Creditors and Mortgage Companies: OPM has created these sample letters for Federal workers to contact their landlords, mortgage lenders, and utilities, to request help during the shutdown.
National Food Resources
- Feeding America: With a nationwide network of 200 food banks, they have 60,000 partner pantries from which they can serve communities across the United States. Please contact Feeding America for additional information.
- Rosetta Stone is giving away a free three-month online subscription to furloughed government workers. Just send an email to email@example.com with your name and the government department you work for. Please note that the offer ends Thursday, January 31st.
- Assistance Programs for Furloughed Federal Employees During the Government Shutdown
- Banks, phone companies, nonprofits roll out help for federal workers amid government shutdown
- How to assist federal workers impacted by the shutdown